Inaki, Manchester

Inaki Williams responds to Manchester United transfer speculation – Manchester Evening News



September 12, 2019
0 COMMENTS


We will use your email address only for the purpose of sending you newsletters. Please see ourPrivacy Noticefor details of your data protection rights

Could not subscribe, try again laterInvalid Email

Athletic Bilbao forward Inaki Williams claims Manchester United were in contact with him this summer over a potential transfer to the club.

Reports in Spain claimedOle Gunnar Solskjaerhad considered signing the 25-year-old as a replacement forRomelu Lukakuwho left for Inter Milan in the summer transfer window.

Williams decided against a move and went on to sign a nine-year deal with the Spanish side but has now confirmed he was in touch with somebody fromOld Trafford.

“I had contact fromManchester Unitedbut I cannot tell you who it was,” Williams told Spanish radio outletCadena Ser.

“My number one option has always been to stay at Athletic Club and to retire here. Joining Real Sociedad? No, I could never go there. 100%.”

Solskjaer admitted after the transfer window had closed they had missed out on signing a replacement for Lukaku, who was United’s top goal scorer for the past two season, and had been left short up front.

“At the moment we are creating but of course you are always looking for someone to improve us – and we did and we were looking,” Solskjaer said.

“As I said on the way back from (pre-season) tour, we were still looking for one replacement for Romelu if he went.

“We are one down, to be fair, but we just didn’t find the right one, we didn’t find the answer that we wanted.

0 COMMENTS