Borussia Dortmund’s sporting director, Michael Zorc, has confirmed that the Bundesliga club held discussions with Manchester United regarding the transfer of Jadon Sancho over the summer transfer window.
The 19-year-old winger emerged as one of Europe’s brightest prospects during a superb 2018-19 season, claiming 12 goals and 14 assists over 34 games.
Sancho reminded Man United supporters of his quality against Kosovo on Monday night, scoring twice in quick succession to crown a lively display out wide as England won an entertaining game 5-3.
Speaking earlier this week, Zorc confirmed that United did make an approach for Sancho, but that Dortmund were unwilling to let him leave this summer under any circumstances.
“Both his discussions with the club and mine with the consultants,”he said.
“A meeting did take place. Manchester United invited the consultant. But according to what I know, the consultant told the club that no matter how much money they offer, we won’t let him go this summer.
“But the player also has no intention of taking that step this summer.”
This was always going to be the case. After such a storming breakthrough season, it makes sense for Sancho – still a teenager, mind – to stay put and continue developing under an arrangement which is clearly suiting him very nicely.
That said, that big move will have to come soon, and if the career tangents of similar young talents like Kylian Mbappe or Ousmane Dembele are anything to go by, it will happen next summer. United, needless to say, need to be first out of the blocks in the race to sign this deeply exciting player.